Acquire Level A conformance,
            W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1 Level AA conformance,
            W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1

The Municipal elections are happening Monday, October 22.

The municipal government is responsible for many important services that impact you on a daily basis. This includes things like roads, public transit, parks, libraries, police services, and more.


Voting gives you a say in who will represent your community’s interests over the next four years.

Message From Your President
When is the election being held?


Monday, October 22, 2018.

What does the municipal government do?

The municipal government is responsible for institutions such as the libraries, parks, transit/transportation, local police, roadways etc. in a municipality.

Who am I voting for in a municipal election?

Every four years, voters across Ontario decide who will represent their interests and lead their communities by electing members of their municipal councils and school boards.


For example, in Hamilton, voters can place 1 vote for a mayoral candidate, 1 vote for a councillor candidate within their Ward and 1 vote for a school board Trustee candidate within their Ward.

How do I know if I’m eligible to vote?

You are eligible to vote in the election for municipal council if you meet all of the following requirements:

  • You are a Canadian citizen

  • You are aged 18 or older

  • You qualify to vote in the municipality

How do I know if I qualify to vote in the municipality?

There are various ways that may qualify you to vote in a municipality:

  1. If you live in the municipality, you qualify as a resident elector. You may own, rent, live in a shared accommodation where you do not pay rent or live in the municipality but do not have a fixed address to qualify as a resident elector. This is the most common type of eligibility.

  2. You may qualify to vote as a non-resident elector, you own or rent property in a municipality, but it’s not the one where you live. You can only be a resident elector in one municipality. However, you can be a non-resident elector in any other municipality (or municipalities) where you own or rent property.

  3. You may qualify to vote as the spouse of a non-resident elector, if your spouse owns or rents property in the municipality or municipalities other than the one where you live.


**You do not qualify to vote in a municipality if:

Neither you or your spouse qualify as a non-resident elector if you do not own or rent the property in the municipality. For example, if the property is owned by your business or your cottage is owned by a trust, you would not qualify as a non-resident elector.


How do I check to see if I’m on the voters’ list for a municipality?

The voters’ list for each municipal election is prepared from data kept by the Municipal Assessment Corporations (MPAC).


You can check to see if MPAC has your information in its database at You can call them at 1-866-296-6722.

Voting for students

There is a special rule for students who may be living away from home while they attend school. If you are a student and consider your “home” to be the place where you live when you’re not attending school, then you are eligible to vote in both your “home” municipality and the municipality where you currently live while attending school.

Voting in more than one municipality

If you qualify to vote in more than one municipality, you can vote in all of those municipal elections. For example, if you qualify as a resident elector in one municipality and a non-resident elector in three other municipalities, you can vote in all four of those municipal elections. **The exception to this rule is if two or more municipalities are in the same region.

What do you need to vote?

In order to vote in person, you must show identification to prove that you are the person whose name appears on the voters’ list. The identification must show your name and address. Photo I.D. is not required.


Some examples of acceptable documents are:

  • An Ontario drivers’ licence

  • An Ontario health card

  • An income tax assessment notice

  • A cheque stub

  • A bill for hydro, water, gas, telephone, internet. 


For a full list of acceptable documents, check out the 2018 Voters’ guide for Ontario municipal council and school board elections, which is accessible online.

Where should I go if I have further questions?

Every municipality has a municipal clerk who is in charge of running the election. Contact your municipal clerk or check the municipal website if you have further questions about the election, such as:

  • How or where to cast your ballot

  • To clarify whether or not you’re eligible to vote in the municipality


If your municipality does not have a website, you could visit or contact your town hall for more information.