The Mohawk Students’ Association exists to ensure all Mohawk Students achieve personal success in their college experience and beyond. We empower Mohawk Students to create a community they can lean on for positive experiences, relevant supports, a listening ear, and a strong voice so they can achieve personal success in their college experience and beyond.
Led by the Executive Director and an elected Student Board of Directors (BOD), we are a Non-Profit Organization that supports students through our Areas of Focus:
While we are a separate organization from Mohawk College, we work collaboratively with the college to reach our goals.
My MSA Team
We live our values to ensure we achieve our Student Driven Vision and Mission. In This Together, we collaborate in transformative ways within and beyond our departments, helping wherever we are needed. We Believe it’s Possible by focusing on outcomes rather than outputs. We prioritize Foster Belonging, where all staff members feel purposeful and supported as their authentic selves. And we share and learn through the power of Storytelling.
My Operations Team
The Operations Team provides relevant supports, services, and engagement opportunities that foster a sense of belonging throughout a variety of MSA spaces for Mohawk students. In collaboration with other MSA departments, college partners and external clients, ensuring that students are presented with equitable, accessible, and safe opportunities to maximize their on-campus experience.
What You Do
As a Student, you work alongside and report to the Facilities Supervisor, to function as a team to perform operational needs, risk assessments, equipment maintenance, health and safety, student concerns, information and documentation that drive the overall engagement and usage within student spaces.
As part of the Operations team, this position collaborates with the Food Services and Facility teams which contribute to the academic, social, physical, mental, and professional well-being of students.
What Success Looks Like in This Role:
You thrive on helping students develop a sense of belonging in MSA spaces because their success is our success. You have a keen eye for detail and for sharing best practices on executing space usage in new and exciting ways. Student engagement is a priority, and you actively support a diverse population of students, located at multiple campuses, and understand the importance of a safe, clean, and activated environment.
- Support the Facilities Supervisor both in student use and engagement of MSA spaces.
- Safe and efficient setup/teardown of facilities assets, working in collaboration MSA department Managers, student leaders and other students.
- Awareness of health and safety to ensure a safe working environment.
- Collaborates alongside a potential team of student staff.
How You Do It
- Daily opening, set-up & closure of MSA spaces, including but not limited to tables/chairs, furniture, equipment, A/V system and music, while providing regular monitoring for cleanliness and safety.
- Seasonal setup, maintenance, cleanup of Mitchell Terrace including the Outdoor Garden.
- Assists the Shipping/Receiving deliveries to MSA.
- Supports the preventative maintenance issues as they arise.
- Assist in maintenance and repairs, including proactively suggesting areas requiring attention.
- Assists with maintaining cleanliness throughout the student centre in areas not overseen by the College, including waste and recycling.
- Support the accessibility of facilities (AODA compliant) and project management of activities that contribute to this function.
- Provide direction and offer positive feedback based on interaction during student-led events or engagement experiences.
- Fosters and promotes a collaborative and harmonious working environment.
- Participate and actively engage in MSA activities.
- Open/Closing duties at Food Service outlets.
- Support of prep and food production at Food outlets.
- Provides value-based Service Excellence and quality standards.
- Communicating student food security needs and feedback.
- Assist with day-to-day operations of assigned outlet including maintaining general stock levels, cleanliness and production.
- POS and cash handling.
- Provides support to other outlets when required.
- Reports Food Services risk management, health and safety, maintenance, and equipment issues to be addressed.
What you Need in Education, Experience, and Training for your Department:
- Currently enrolled in a Mohawk College program (open to all students enrolled in the summer semester).
- In good standing with the College (60% minimum grad average)
- Legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Customer services experience.
What Knowledge, Skills, and Attitudes that you require:
- Comfort in a digital environment.
- Pride in customer service, with a focus on service excellence.
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced student facing service space and ever-changing environment.
- Passion for working for and with post-secondary students.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal guidance.
- Positive energy and attitude.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
- Standard work hours are 0-15 hours per week. This May include evenings and weekends occasionally.
- Ability to lift 50lbs.
- Travel between campuses maybe required.
- Able to work in a variety of event-related settings that may involve sitting, lifting, transporting and standing for prolonged periods.
- Availability to work occasional weekends and evenings.
How We Support You
This position is entitled to the following comprehensive compensation package:
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP). EMPOWER ME.
- Option to enroll in the CAAT Defined Benefit Pension Plan.
- Staff Wellbeing Initiatives.
- Celebrate an Individual’s Authentic Self.
- Work Culture that prioritizes that staff have a voice, feel a sense of belonging, and have fun together.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion:
The MSA seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity and inclusion, who will contribute to the diversification of ideas and perspectives, and especially seeks applications from indigenous (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) peoples, members of racialized communities, persons with disabilities, women, and persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to MSAfoodservices@mohawkcollege.ca
- Please include in the subject line of the email the title MSA Facility Student Assistant Student at Fennell Campus, your last name first and then your first name.
If you have questions regarding the hiring process for the position or require accommodation in the interview process, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will be accepting applications until September 9, 2022, or until the position is filled. The expected start date is September 19, 2022.