The Mohawk Students’ Association (MSA) has an exciting opportunity for the right person to engage and work with students (with an emphasis on providing them with the supports, resources, and tools to enable them to perform as strong leaders and advocates). Are you a student with a passion for working with other students, and get great satisfaction from helping those around you succeed, then MSA is the place for you!
The Mohawk Students’ Association (MSA) was designed and created as a separate entity from Mohawk College. The Association was built for and is led by students.
What we stand for
We empower Mohawk students to create a community they can lean on for positive experiences, relevant supports, a listening ear, and a strong voice so they can achieve personal success in their college experience and beyond.
Led by the Executive Director and an elected Student Board of Directors (BOD), we are a Non-Profit Organization that supports students through our Areas of Focus – Advocacy & Leadership, Engagement & Support, Sustainability & Operations. While we are separate from Mohawk College, we do work collaboratively with the college to reach our goals.
We believe in fostering an environment where all staff members feel Purposeful, Supported, and like they Belong. Together daily, we live and bring our values to life to ensure we achieve our student-centred Vision and Mission.
My MSA Team
Every day is a new challenge, and you are continually looking for ways to help our team become more efficient and effective. As an asset to a team that is In This Together, you collaborate with our BOD, advocate for best practices, and pitch in where needed. You Believe it’s Possible and contribute in transformative ways within and beyond your department through insight and support.
My Student Experience Team
The MSA Student Experience Team (SET) is part of a larger collective of MSA departments including the Programming, Student Services, and Communications Team, and Board Members. The SET creates opportunities for students that encourage and facilitate meaningful engagement, through the student life cycle within the MSA and the College. The SET understands and embraces how different team members use different methods and lived experiences to help support and engage students throughout their time at college. The Team finds every opportunity to celebrate, educate, engage and empower each other, and the students we seek to serve. We encourage creative dialogue, trial-and-error, and do not believe failure is the be-all-end-all – we believe in failing forward.
What You Do
In this role, you will work alongside the MSA Student Experience Team to support student engagement through initiatives that best support the student life cycle. You will have a primary focus on engagement execution that concentrates on providing experiences by the MSA; for students led by students. While each team member might have different tasks and priorities each day, you will work together to continue to build the MSA’s brand awareness, effectively communicate MSA happenings to students, work towards the Association’s Strategic Plan, implement the Equity Sequence when brainstorming, and showcase the MSA’s values during engagement initiatives.
What Success Looks Like in This Role:
You are an active team member in improving the MSA’s brand awareness. This should be highlighted by creating a sense of belonging for other students; empowering them to use their voice, get involved, and enhance their college experience through engagement, dialogue, and feedback opportunities.
- Execute engagement initiatives that support the student life cycle
- Promote opportunities of involvement within the MSA via strategies of engagement
- Gather and document feedback from events
- Build trust between the MSA and Mohawk students
- Brainstorm, collaborate and assist in the planning of engagement initiatives that support the student life cycle
- Assist the Engagement Specialist in execution of engagement initiatives with other Engagement Assistants
- On occasion, host events (mix of online and in-person) independently that supports the student life cycle and/or improves the MSA’s brand awareness
- Create content for events that promotes the MSA’s brand awareness, and provides opportunities of engagement between the MSA and Mohawk students
- Gather student feedback through engagement strategies and add to a large database that will be used in monthly and year-end reports
- Foster interpersonal relationships and connections with the student body to inform, educate and provide opportunities of engagement for students
- Other duties as assigned
What You Need in Education, Experience, and Training for your Department:
- Currently enrolled in a Mohawk College program (open to all students)
- In good standing with the college (60% minimum grade average)
- Legally eligible to work in Canada
- Valid drivers license with access to vehicle an asset
- Comfortable engaging with diverse groups of individuals with diverse needs
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Good organizational and time management abilities
- Understanding the student life cycle of a college student
- Positive energy and attitude towards improving the college experience for students
- Comfortable being in front of and/or behind a camera
- Conflict resolution skills
- Any sort of creative skills or accomplishments would be great to highlight as well!
What You Need in Training for Team MSA:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Microsoft Teams, Excel or a strong willingness to learn
- Proficiency with running virtual platforms such as (but not exclusively) Zoom, Crowdpurr, Steam or a strong willingness to learn
Equity, diversity and inclusion
Equity and Diversity are core values of the MSA and are engrained in the work we do to support Mohawk students. At the MSA, we believe in dedication to our values of equity, diversity, and inclusion requires a continuous commitment. It’s about fostering a culture of open-mindedness, compassion, safety and inclusiveness among individuals and groups, where leadership is made up of different people with diverse perspectives. The MSA is actively building a community where everyone is encouraged and celebrated to be themselves and whose members have diverse cultures, backgrounds, and life experiences in order to challenge and dismantle systemic oppression.
We are looking for qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity and inclusion, who will contribute to the diversification of ideas and perspectives, and especially encourage applications from Indigenous (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) peoples, members of racialized communities, persons with disabilities, women, and persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
Reports To: Engagement Specialist
Classification: Part-time Contract (January – Mid April)
Location: Hybrid (in person across various Mohawk College campuses and/or virtual)
Pay Band: $16.00/hour
How to Apply:
- Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include the title ‘Engagement Assistant’, your last name and then your first name in the subject line of the email.
- Attach your resume and cover letter (answering why you want to work at the MSA and what you’re hoping to gain) either in a PDF or Word Document.
- Please attach your school schedule.
As part of our commitment to accessibility for all persons with disabilities, The MSA will, upon the request of the employee provide accommodation.
Should you require accommodation at any point during your employment with the MSA please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.